Speciaal voor Gijsbert: Wasteland Strangler

Vorige onderwerp Volgende onderwerp Go down 
AuteurBericht
JasperB
The Legend

Aantal berichten : 855
Leeftijd : 39
Registration date : 24-08-16

BerichtOnderwerp: Speciaal voor Gijsbert: Wasteland Strangler   di mei 09 2017, 21:57

[[Wasteland Strangler]] is most complicated creature in modern, trust me. The amount of times the judge had been called to my table because I do some dirty tricks with it and Eldrazi&Taxes shenanigans really makes me feel cheating. So I decided to sum up all my recent troublesome situations and talk about how exactly Wasteland Strangler works.

The issue begins with actual wording of Wasteland Strangler.

When Wasteland Strangler enters the battlefield, you may put a card an opponent owns from exile into that player's graveyard. If you do, target creature gets -3/-3 until the end of turn.

This actions would be called "process" here and below. At first glance, you might think that target of this ability is what happens after you process the card. It's actually not.

There's how Wasteland Strangler ETB actually works:

1. Trigger is announced, and you are mandatory to announce target of trigger. It doesn't matter if trigger is conditional or not, you always announce target. You don't choose a card you theoretically want to process.

2. The trigger is optional, and processing the card is not the "cost of trigger". You may choose or may not to process, and you don't determine it before resolutions. If trigger fizzles, you can't process at all.

3. When the trigger resolves, you choose if you would actually process the card. Opponent doesn't have priority here and can't respond/interfere to any actions here. You choose a card you want to process, if any, and you just go it at resolving of ETB.

Obligatory note:

Any card that stays in exile can be a "food" for processor: Cards exiled with O-Ring/Tidehollow Sculler/Karn/Flickerwisp, as well as cards exiled with path to exile. Suspended cards also belong to exile.

Now let's look at actual situations. All of those mentioned are valid and legitimate lines of play.

1. Opponent has a Goblin Guide and a Rift Bolt Suspended. I cast Wasteland Strangler, it resolves, I announce Goblin Guide as target.

1.1 Opponent kills Guide in response with Bolt. Trigger has fizzled, I can't process Rift Bolt.

1.2 Opponent passes, I put Rift Bolt into graveyard and kill Goblin Guide.

1.3 Opponent plays Giant Growth on Goblin Guide, I say I don't want to process on resolution. Rift Bolt stays suspended.

2. Opponent has a Tarmogoyf. I have Oblivion Ring with opponent's Dark Confidant under it in exile. I cast Wasteland Strangler, it resolves, I announce Tarmogoyf as target. Opponent kills Oblivion Ring in response to the trigger, Dark Confidant returns to the battlefield. Trigger resolves, but I can't process.

3. I have an Aether Vial at 3 counters and some lands. Opponent has Snapcaster Mage at the battlefield, no cards in exile, and he pretends to have a counter. I cast Wasteland Strangler for mana, asks if it resolves. Opponent sees no cards in exile, and says that he's fine with vanilla 3/2. I resolve Strangler, announce ETB targeting Snap, and announce that in response I want to vial in something. I vialed into Flickerwisp, ETB target opponent's land. Flickerwisp ETB resolves, land goes to exile, I announce resolving of Strangler trigger, opponent passes, I say that I process a land to kill Snapcaster mage. Opponent calls a judge.

4. Opponent plays Titanshift, he has Search for Tomorrow suspended, and no other creatures at the board. I play Wasteland Strangler, announce target Strangler itself.

4.1. Opponent passes, trigger resolves, Search for Tomorrow is processed, Strangler dies.

4.2. Opponent casts Bolt to kill Strangler, trigger fizzles. Same as 1.1

4.3. The trigger will also fizzle if I blink the target of it somehow, e.g. I announce Strangler to be the target of trigger, but blinked it with Cloudshift hoping to save him. Trigger will fizzle and the card won't be processed.

5. Opponent has Phantasmal Bear and no cards in exile. I cast Wasteland Strangler, announce Bear as target, Bear dies. Opponent calls a judge.

6. Opponent has Kira, Great Spinner which says if a creature you control become target of spell or ability opponent controls for the first time in turn, counter that spell or ability and no cards in exile. I cast Wasteland Strangler, announce Kira as target, I agree that trigger has been countered, then I cast dismember targeting Kira. Opponent calls judge claiming dismember is countered as Strangler's trigger to Kira wasn't legitimate because no cards in exile.

7. Opponent has a Tasigur, the Golden Fang and lightning bolt in graveyard; bunch of other dead cards in exile that he doesn't really want to be in grave to not mess with Tasigur ability. Opponent has mana open to activate Tasigur ability at any time. I cast Wasteland Strangler, announce ETB targeting Tasigur. Opponent jiggles and says fine. I say I want to process IoK to graveyard. Opponent says he will respond with Tasigur ability. I call a judge.

Conclusion

1. Learn all such tricks and interactions if you are playing such kind of decks

2. Be prepared to have a lot of judge calls

3. Have a bunch of easy-accessable links to actual rulings

P.S. another D&T shenanigans you knew or didn't

1. Player A announces AEther Vial ability, Vial has 2 counters on it. Player B responds with Abrupt Decay on Vial and he claims that ability may put only 0 CMC creature now. Player A calls a judge and judge tells that last known information about AEther Vial counters is 2.

2. If you kill Tidehollow Sculler in response to its ETB ability, his LTB ability will trigger above in stack and resolve first, and you wont get your card back then ETB ability stops resolving.

3. If you blink Tidehollow Sculler in response to its ETB ability, you have following situation:

> ETB sculler object 1, sculler gets blinked in response to it, "creating" another object sculler

> two triggers happen simultaneously, LTB sculler object 1 and ETB sculler object 2

> LTB sculler object 1 says to return card from sculler object 1 back, but there's no card exiled with sculler 1 yet

> ETB sculler object 2 allows you to exile card associated with Sculler

> ETB sculler object 1 allow you to exile card forever

> REMEMBER: ETB sculler object 2 resolves before ETB sculler object 1, so first you are choosing which card stays with sculler, and then which card goes forever. Opponent may respond accordingly.

4. Leonin Arbiter pay 2 mana to search is special action and doesn't use stack. If opponent blinks Leonin Arbiter somehow after you have paid for his permission, you will have to pay 2 more.

5. You have 1 basic and 1 fetchland. Opponent has vial at 2 and says he wants to vial in. you say fine. Opponent vials Leonin Arbiter out. You say you want to fetch in response, but you can't respond already. Same with Chord, Coco and other cards that play cards from hidden zone.

Ik ben beter dan Pannekoek

Aantal berichten : 198
Leeftijd : 30
Registration date : 16-07-07

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Speciaal voor Gijsbert: Wasteland Strangler   za mei 13 2017, 22:44

En hierom speel ik dus het liefst aggro;)
Terug naar boven Go down

Speciaal voor Gijsbert: Wasteland Strangler
Vorige onderwerp Volgende onderwerp Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» Gijsbert is afgestudeerd
» Hoe Gijsbert kampioen werd
» Tips voor een dropping.
» Gijsbert zoekt:
» Anki, Mnemosyne, Memrise... Gespreide herhaling voor memorisatie.

Permissies van dit forum:Je mag geen reacties plaatsen in dit subforum
MAGIC GRONINGEN EN FRIESLAND :: MAGIC ALGEMEEN :: Rumours, nieuws en overig Magic-
Ga naar: