IndexIndex  FAQFAQ  ZoekenZoeken  RegistrerenRegistreren  Inloggen  
Pieter Bruins wint de FNM Modern van 4 augustus! **Gefeliciteerd**
Arjan Boerma wint Legacy op 29 juli **Gefeliciteerd**
Niels wint de dondermodern van 21 juli **Gefeliciteerd!**
Jeroen wint de GTMQ Dubbele draft van 6 augustus! **Gefeliciteerd**
Jeroen wint de donderdraft van 10 augustus! **Gefeliciteerd!!!**
Volg ons, like ons op facebook https://www.facebook.com/magicgrunn

Deel | 

Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?

Vorige onderwerp Volgende onderwerp Go down 

Waar of Onwaar? (toelichten mag in de draad)
Waar
15%
 15% [ 2 ]
Onwaar
85%
 85% [ 11 ]
Totaal aantal stemmen : 13

AuteurBericht
Gast
Gast

BerichtOnderwerp: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   wo mei 05 2010, 20:45

Iemand op the source opperde het volgende:
( http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?16162-Raise-raise-raise-The-price-of-cardboard/page35)

I know this is probably a far fetched conspiracy theory (or is it?), but two recent things have caught my eye and I feel that there may be a correlation between the two.

First is the rumors of the new Mercadian Masques and above Eternal format, supposedly being introduced as a PT-level format like Standard and the dying Extended. I initially wrote this off as unlikely given that the person who began the thread about it on Salvation was a new member with that being his only post and then disappeared.

Second is how StarCityGames (let's face it...the rest of the dealers follow SCG's lead most of the time) is now buying obscure niche rares, all pre-Mercadian Masques, at absolutely ridiculous prices and selling them (unless they're "Sold Out" like how SCG is currently sold out of Eurekhas and has been for three months, despite buying them at $60 each) at even more ridiculous prices. And while they aren't rising as quickly as these niche cards, SCG is slowly but surely upping the price on Legacy staples (at a much smaller rate, and as such much less noticeable).

And finally, we all know Ben Bleiwiss (I know I misspelled that) is the main purchasing agent for StarCityGames, and was one of the three people invited to WotC headquarters to "discuss the Reserved List."

It seems to me like Wizards is encouraging StarCityGames (and by following their example, most other dealers) to push Legacy's price to critical mass like Vintage currently is. And once Legacy hits critical mass pricing, I see Wizards swopping in to announce their new MM+ Eternal format as an alternative to Legacy and Vintage, complete with Pro Tour seasons and PTQs and FNMs (maybe).

I know it sounds crazy, and I'll probably be called crazy for saying it. But every passing week, as SCG jacks up the price on another obscure niche rare and Legacy staples increase another few cents...well...I thought it was crazy also earlier this year, but it seems less crazy every week.

en

I think the thing is is that Wizards sees how popular Legacy is. Earlier this year, it surpassed Extended to become the second most played Constructed format in Magic, right behind Standard.

The problem is the collectors and dealers, not the players.

For Legacy to remain healthy, availability of certain staples (namely duals, Lion's Eye Diamond, Phyrexian Dreadnought, and to a lesser extent non-Reserved uncommons like Force of Will) would need to increase drastically. However, reprinting these rares, while the players had little or no issue with it, would have caused an uproar among the collectors and dealers as their collections/stock would have fallen drastically in price (if Underground Sea was printed in M2011, while I'm sure it would have been a $20-$30 rare land, the value of Revised/Unlimited WB copies probably would have fallen to the "reasonable" $40-$50 range, causing dealers and collectors to take a moderate value hit despite their copies still remaining reasonably valued).

Furthermore, I believe now that the announcement regarding the Reserved List was intended to placate the dealers and collectors while causing some discontent among the players (which it achieved). Also, if you've noticed the timeline of events, the announcement of the closing of the foil loophole of the Reserved List occured before the initial leak of information about MM+ Eternal (OverExtended if you want to call it that). So as the timing happened, shortly after many players became discontent over the Reserved List, rumors began circulating about the new MM+ Eternal format. And then shortly after that, SCG began increasing the value of obscure niche rares that are barely played, alongside their slow continual increase in cost of Legacy staples.

As for Wizards losing money...not really. Legacy players (and to a lesser extent, Extended players) are not known for cracking boxes/cases to get cards for their formats. We tend to cherry pick available singles. It's the Standard players who go hogwild trying to finish their playset of the new set within the first month or two, and thus it's the Standard players who line Wizards' pockets with green. But nowhere near the extent that Limited players do, since they use brand new cards every time they play. And the only way to get them is to buy product from dealers, who buy product from suppliers (who buy product from Wizards) and directly from Wizards. I believe that it is Wizards' intent that by basically phasing out every playable card pre-MM, the new players of OverExtended will purchase cards in similar quantities to replace cards they own, but are no longer legal for use (Force of Will => Mindbreak Trap, Mishra's Factory => Mutavault as examples). Let's look at Phyrexian Dreadnought. Since it would no longer be legal, Wizards could print, say, a 10/10 Trample for 2 with the same "drawback" as Phyrexian Dreadnough. And since Stifle is in the new format, those that played Dreadstill in Legacy would have to get these new Dreadnoughts to continue playing. And there are plenty of other cards that are staples in Legacy that could be reprinted as a similar, but significantly weaker, card that the players of OverExtended would need.
Terug naar boven Go down
Bart
Lelijk Konijn

Aantal berichten : 2028
Leeftijd : 32
Registration date : 23-08-06

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 09:57

Ik denk niet dat het een 100% vooropgezet plan is van WotC, maar het geschetste scenario dat over-Extended Legacy zal opslokken, zie ik wel gebeuren.

Gast
Gast

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 10:41

@Bart schreef:
Ik denk niet dat het een 100% vooropgezet plan is van WotC, maar het geschetste scenario dat over-Extended Legacy zal opslokken, zie ik wel gebeuren.

Dan worden tammo's nog duurder aangezien echt iedereen ze dan nodig heeft Smile
Terug naar boven Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Aantal berichten : 11180
Leeftijd : 117

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 10:53

Achter elke koerswijziging of aanpassing zit een corporate strategy, ik geloof echter niet in complotten en doe dus ook lekker hier niet aan mee.
Terug naar boven Go down
https://magicgroningen.editboard.com
Bart
Lelijk Konijn

Aantal berichten : 2028
Leeftijd : 32

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 10:59

Jasper schreef:
Achter elke koerswijziging of aanpassing zit een corporate strategy, ik geloof echter niet in complotten en doe dus ook lekker hier niet aan mee.

Dan kun je toch op 'onwaar' klikken?

Gast
Gast

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 11:30

@Bart schreef:
Jasper schreef:

Dan kun je toch op 'onwaar' klikken?
Dat heb ik ook gedaan, dit is gewoon veel te ver gezocht. De prijs van legacy gaat al jaren omhoog en door de schaarste van enkele kaarten komt er gewoon een moment dat het voor de meesten onbetaalbaar zal zijn. Dit is gewoon een gevolg van de vraag (Veel) en aanbod (Weinig).

Daarbij verliest Extended steeds meet spelers. Dit gebeurd ook al jaren.

En voor beide 'problemen' zoeken ze gewoon een oplossing en over-extended lijkt de oplossing.

complot? Te ver gezocht...
Terug naar boven Go down
Hennink
Honey Bunny

Aantal berichten : 5772
Leeftijd : 35
Registration date : 24-08-06

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 13:04

Complottheoriën zijn per definitie te ver gezocht Wink

Gast

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 13:39

Wat zijn jullie toch naïf. Het hele leven is één groot complot.
Terug naar boven Go down
Anne
Pro Player

Aantal berichten : 1387
Leeftijd : 33
Registration date : 11-04-08

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 13:47

Dwarlorf schreef:

Alleen tegen jou hoor Niels.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Aantal berichten : 11180
Leeftijd : 117

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 13:55

@Anne schreef:
Dwarlorf schreef:

Alleen tegen jou hoor Niels.

Sssssst
Terug naar boven Go down
https://magicgroningen.editboard.com
Martijn
Spammer

Aantal berichten : 1699
Leeftijd : 37

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 14:58

Eeuhm wat maakt het uit of het een complot is of niet?

Al was het een complot, niemand hier is in de positie om het te oncomplotteren.

Daarnaast ontgaat me iets, wanneer het een complot zou zijn dan zou SCG toch maanden geleden Eureka's gekocht moeten hebben en die nu veels te duur moeten verkopen? Maar aan wie verkopen? Dan zal ie wel in een deck gespeeld worden (ohw ja als ie gespeeld wordt in een deck dan gaat de prijs omhoog).
Terug naar boven Go down
Gast
Gast

BerichtOnderwerp: Re: Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?   do mei 06 2010, 16:09

Dit allemaal gelezen te hebben denk ik dat het geen complot is. Wat ik zelf denk is dat Ben Bleisweiss deels/geheel op de hoogte is van de toekomstige plannen van Wizards. Ben heeft hier waarschijnlijk op in gespeeld door alvast veel te playtesten met een team om het nieuwe formaat te bepalen/te breken. Op basis van deze resultaten zijn de toekomstige verkoopprijzen van bepaalde kaarten bepaald. De kans is dan ook heel erg groot dat als het nieuwe formaat bekend worden dat bepaalde kaarten in waarde zullen stijgen/dalen. Ook acht ik de kans dan erg groot dat bekende spelers met goede connecties met decks op de proppen komen die goed scoren. Dit zal dan ook als effect hebben dat die kaarten in waarde stijgen. Dan komen we op het belangrijkste punt waarom StarCityGames dit aankoop beleid haeert: Winst maken!

Een toevallig bijkomend voordeel voor Wizards is natuurlijk dat ze hierdoor ook weer in de kaart worden gespeeld om het nieuwe formaat in het leven te roepen.
Terug naar boven Go down

Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?
Vorige onderwerp Volgende onderwerp Terug naar boven 
Pagina 1 van 1
 Soortgelijke onderwerpen
-
» Conspiracy theory: 'Overextended' vooropgezet plan?
» Nieuwe set: MTG Conspiracy

Permissies van dit forum:Je mag geen reacties plaatsen in dit subforum
MAGIC GRONINGEN EN FRIESLAND :: MAGIC ALGEMEEN :: Rumours, nieuws en overig Magic-
Ga naar: